Sunday 20 February 2011

Run to the beat.

A couple of different runs this weekend, and a bit of an experiment.  Since I've been back into my running (which will be a year to the day on Tuesday) I've pretty much been listening exclusively to podcasts as my run entertainment.  So on Friday I decided to see if "running to the beat" would have a positive effect on my performance. I had run the 7 miler for the first time on Monday accompanied by Frank Skinner, so this time I took Messrs Hetfield, Ulrich, Hammett, Young, Young, Johnson, Williams and Rudd instead, otherwise known as Metallica and AC/DC.  I was hoping the up-tempo nature of the tracks would help me to a couple of minutes quicker than Monday, so I was well pleased with my 1:05:58 which was over five minutes quicker.  So it's conclusive, a bit of metal injection is a good way to improve your running times!
Today was back to the weekend LSD (maaaan).  I hit double figures, with a very slow (11:00mpm) ten miler which was a mixture of road and trail, incorporating some of the 7 miler followed by a Spire (check out the route here).  The first couple of miles were a bit hard going (probably down to last night's evening of excess for Vix's birthday!) and I had to stop several times to stretch out my calves and thighs, but by the end I was moving freely and felt good.  So there we are, Week 7 done, four runs completed again and 27.63 miles logged.  Rock and Roll baby! (S)

No comments:

Post a Comment