Friday 21 January 2011

Now that's a bit more like it.

After yesterday's disappointment I was keen to get back on the horse and put things right.  Today was the run I should have done on Wednesday, when I was stuffing my fat face with, albeit very nice, fish and chips instead.  It was Monday's route but with a bit more pace injected into it.  I wouldn't exactly say that I was fartleking, but I was consciously trying to pick up speed for little bursts between lampposts.  From the outset it was obvious that it was going to be a lot better tonight, my legs felt fresher, my chest wasn't tight and the annoying pain in my side was conspicuous by its absence.  It did make a brief appearance at about the mile mark but a few deep breaths on the opposite foot strike (as you do to alleviate a stitch) seemed to do the trick and it soon passed.  In true runner style I could moan about the aches I get in my ankles and lower leg, but I won't.  I finished strongly and completed the 4.06 miles (not sure what happened to the other 0.02 miles there were on Monday) in 38:41, or 9:30 mins per mile.  I'm much happier with that and after a healthy dinner of roast chicken breast and salad I allowed myself a Friday treat of half a Crunchie.  What a rock and roll devil I am!  Mind you, I'm off to the footie tomorrow afternoon and then I'm taking Mrs. R out for dinner in the evening (when I fully intend to get some vino tinto down my neck) so it won't hurt me to go easy tonight.  Oh and I did have "Boy's Lunch" today so I can't really complain.  Going to give the legs a bit of a rest tomorrow before hitting a bit of cross country on Sunday, so TTFN and I'll catch you the other side of the weekend. (S)

No comments:

Post a Comment