Sunday 30 January 2011

Slow, slow, quick, quick, slow.

Well that's not strictly true.  It was more like slow, slow, slower, slower still, speed up a bit towards the end.  But that's OK because it's kind of what I was intending anyway.  It was yesterday (Saturday) afternoon and I hit the Downs for an eight mile cross country run.  It was pretty nippy when I set out so gloves and hat were the order of the day (it's going to be weird reading that in a few months when it baking hot), but I soon warmed up and experienced the odd sensation of sweat running into my ears via my iPod earphones.  Strange.  I took it fairly easy, I'd set the training partner on my Garmin to 10:15 pace but as the footpod has been calibrated to my road shoes it was only ever going to be an approximate guide.  I was reading an article in Runners World the other day about training at race pace for the last few miles of a long run to simulate race conditions so I kicked on for the last two miles and was around the same pace as the first two miles, so fairly happy with that.  In the end the run took me 1:22:56, Map My Run said it was 8.02 miles but the Garmin said it was 8.18, so I've plumped for the middle ground and called it 8.1.  Strangely that brings me slap bang in on 10:14mpm, which was the target anyway!  Sorry for all the figures there, runners in general and me in particular are fairly anal when it comes to stats.  And it is true that I have an "I Love Spreadsheets" mug. So there we go, Week 4 completed, 4 runs again and 21.6 miles done.  I'm very excited because my new Asics Kensei 3 shoes arrived yesterday so they'll get their first outing on tomorrow's run!  God I really do need to get out more don't I!  A bientot mes petits lévriers.
NEWSFLASH!!!
Grave news has just reached Blog HQ that my dear training and race partner Jim has suffered a serious injury that more than likely will rule him out of The Great West Run.  He will blog the details himself in all their gory glory, but I wish him the speediest possible recovery. (S)

No comments:

Post a Comment